Sunday, November 30, 2008

Advent

Today is the first Sunday in Advent in the Anglican cycle of seasons. During the coming weeks we will prepare for the celebration of remembrance of the coming of Jesus.
During our services today the children of our church sang the first verse of Silent Night and learned to sign it as they sang. It occurred to me that the joy of the Christmas season, as captured in the carols that we sing to celebrate the birth of Jesus, spends much of the church year waiting for the season when they can again be sung loud. The exuberance of expression that comes with the first singings of this season is wonderful.
I am not certain why this immense feeling of joy is not present throughout the year. Perhaps it is too great an emotion to sustain? I know, for myself that it does roll to the surface of my being whenever we baptise and welcome a new soul into the church and whenever we see off a soul who has gone to glory from our midst.

No comments: