Saturday, November 15, 2008

This and That

This and that; brings to mind Aldo Leopold's, "Sketches Here and There." One of my favorite writers.
What an end of week. Friday spent doing a lot of nothing at the farm and then off to the quack for a flu shot that somehow became a bleeding session to divine possible causes of the weight loss that accompanies every harvest. ...checking white blood cell count...now those are words to bring a chill to the spine. Oh well, tests give certainty to things, and are as often good news as bad. So, then home where younger daughter was sick. Back to the Doctor and a diagnosis of tonsillitis with the complicating factor of a bronchial infection. Poor little darling is sick as a dog.
The cycle of seasons ending with harvest always brings thoughts of how my faith expresses through my life to the fore front of my mind. As does illness in my kids. I often find myself envying those folks who are cursed with a load beyond anything that I think I could bear to carry and who maintain a positive and accepting demeanor. I lack such courage.
I suppose that I fear the unknown as much as anyone else. Being a Christian of the Anglican persuasion doesn't give as much comfort on that front as you might expect. The idea of hell has aways seemed out of place in a religion where all are saved though none are worthy of saving or possessed of the ability to earn salvation. The wondrous concept of grace. So, if no hell, why heaven? On this I remain a waiter. I shall see, or not, as the case may be. The question of reward seems to me to hardly have anything to do with the call transmitted through Jesus to live a certain life, in and with God. Mind you I am on a faith journey that has no accurate mileposts to give guidance to the distance travelled or that yet to be covered.
Well, enough of this, time to go and comfort...

No comments: