Thursday, November 27, 2008

Community

I spent a good part of today reflecting on communities and the extent to which I am a part of same.
I've never been much of a people person and have long held my core family to be the central community in my life. My two daughters and my son. Of course I can't leave out the three women who have been married to me. One, number two, has passed on and we were divorced before that sad event, but she remains close to my heart. I can't leave out my sister and two half brothers though I have irregular contact with them. They are family in every sense and are a part of this core community. Mom, dad, two sets of grand parents, all gone on now, but all still here to be called on, to be turned to, in times of need, times of joy.
I am welcomed as a member of the community of my church and of our denomination here in BC and in Canada and throughout the world and that community feeds my soul's longings as no other could.
My boss out at the farm and his family, from the outset of our working relationship, worked hard to forge a deeper connection with me and mine than one might expect from an employer. This also is a community to which I belong.
As a citizen of this town, this province, this country I am a member of a community.
And as a citizen of this world...Pretty big group I belong to, who belong to me.
Not bad thought for a grey late November day at the farm.

1 comment:

Nana said...

What a great blog. I love to hear you talk and your writing is as eloquent as your speech. Thank you for being you.