Thursday, August 12, 2010

Almost halfway through August...where does the time go?
It has been six weeks now that I have been off work and I am enjoying the slow pace of my days. The anti-depressants seem to be working, though there are residual symptoms of my depression that have persisted beyond the pills kicking in. Mostly manageable, though I am wondering, when the time comes to return to working, how well I will manage...
I have managed to keep to my schedule of biking twenty-five to thirty miles every day. The ache in my thighs has diminished and my breathing is good, but I am not certain that I will be able to get up to the average of one hundred and twenty miles a day, three times a week, that I figure will let me know that I can seriously plan to bike down to Nova Scotia next year to visit Jessie.
It is interesting to me that when I think of this 7000 plus kilometer trip, I think of it as a pilgrimage of sorts. Getting away from the daily noise of my life, entering into the solitude of the road and journeying, all hint of a promise of more than a physical effort. I do wonder if I am strong enough, mentally and spiritually, for such an effort.
Well, enough for now...

No comments: