Friday, July 30, 2010

Taking up bike riding

It is now eleven days since I have become a bike person. In the Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge area the appellation, "bike person," is quite negative. Not surprisingly a good number of our poor residents ride bikes and they have gotten hung with a bum rap in terms of being seen as undesirables. It is fairly easy to differentiate between urban riders and poor folks: most of the former are wearing spandex riding gear and helmets and most of the latter aren't. My observations are that while there is a certain amount of drug dealing and such going on from the backs of bikes, most of the folks who are riding them in our community are doing so out of necessity and as a byproduct of that are displaying a desirable element of the diversity within our society.
I have managed to keep to the twenty or twenty-five kilometers a day goal that I set for myself when I started riding. My butt is no longer suffering, but my thighs are pretty sore. Over all I am feeling pretty good. Next week I will try to go 30 K every second day.

No comments: