Wednesday, February 4, 2009

opening doors

What a glorious week at the farm! Temperatures up to twelve degrees and sunny skies. How good does it get during February? I'd have to say just about this good.
Pruning of the vines is well underway at the farm. Once they are done I'll finish filling holes and leveling some of the dips in the fields prior to infill planting. It is starting to get busy...
EfM tonight is a continuation of our study of twentieth century theologians. I appreciate the call that these scholars feel to study God, but find their efforts quite beyond me. I suspect that this is mostly because of their writings being the fruit of many years, even decades, of education and deep thinking, all of which is then synthesised into a ten or twelve page presentation in the course material.
I listen to a preacher called Chuck Swindoll on the local Christian radio station at 1:30 most days and find his translation of the message of the New Testament into our world most refreshing. One of these days I'll probably go to his web site and find that he embraces within his faith many positions that I don't agree with, but for now I am enjoying his ministry.
This is an interesting point, being drawn to those with whom we agree and turning away from those with whom we don't.
On the weekend I found myself in conversation with a person who thought that same-sex marriage was wrong. My mental reaction was immediate and the argumentative neurons were firing pretty quickly. Fortunately I put the brakes on my tongue and thought about how my companion had phrased the position I was about to react to. Having thought it out for a few moments I came to the conclusion that, though I didn't agree with this position, I wasn't offended by the way in which it was offered and, having already made my position clear, I didn't have to argue further. Interestingly I have replayed the conversation since and it may be shaping some parts of my position. Now, if only I can repeat this in other conversational areas, I may just enter that realm where civil discourse is the norm.
Well, the timer has run and that's the call to dinner. Later.

No comments: