Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy days

A happy day, indeed. Today I drove seven hundred and fifty klicks round trip to swap my Clipper Tripper canoe for a Wenonah Advantage. I hate to see the Clipper go but it was just too big to single hand and have fun with at the same time. I believe there were a dozen or more times last year when I wanted to get out on the water and didn't because of the hassle of going solo in a boat not designed for one.
The fellow who traded with me was looking for a canoe that he could get out in with his family and his solo didn't fill the bill. We both came out ahead, though given the relative values of the two boats, if bought new, I likely got the better deal. I can hardly wait for spring and being able to get out on the lake!
I've spent a good bit of time this week reflecting on gratitude.
When I started taking the Education for Ministry program, offered through our church, three and a half years ago I was quite intimidated by the strength of faith that most of the participants displayed. In comparison to them I felt that my faith, especially the ways it displayed itself outwardly, was shallow and ill formed. A fairly ego based view of me/them.
I have been blessed recently with the realization that recognition of the Holy Spirit working through others has little to do with those others and much to do with the Spirit. This realization has allowed me to see the organic nature of the Spirit working in and through all of us in our group and to appreciate how singular a force it is.
My feelings of gratitude at being a part of this small manifestation of God at work is quite overwhelming. There are no small blessings.
Today is St.Valentine's Day. It is pretty much a Hallmark day, but today I enjoyed, during my drive, thinking of all those whom I have been privileged to love or be loved by. I especially think of Jessie and Alley, who, notwithstanding having me as their primary role model, are mostly vibrant and mostly joyous and largely lacking of fear. To be loved by such as them is indeed a blessing.

No comments: