Saturday, November 28, 2009

idle thoughts

November is about over and Christmas is near. Whew!!! where has this year gone?
Most of the post-harvest cleanup at the farm is done. Another year...
Alley is off visiting Jessie in Nova Scotia. I'm glad that she could work in the trip before starting a new job. That work-a-day thing pretty much gets in the way of cross country family visits.
I spent the better part of today cleaning the carpets in the house. Well, in truth I cleaned half of them. Moving bookcases and such out of the front room required moving the books and albums and I couldn't resist stopping to look through the old photos and spending more than a few moments delving into books that haven't come to hand for a time. I can hardly call this exercise procrastinating. Or is it that I won't call it such? When pushing 60, one should seek out moments to indulge in visiting memory lane.
Alley is going to move into her new suite in Poco on the fifteenth of December and I will have to get used to being an empty-nester. Should be a challenge. I don't think most of us really engage with the concept of being alone until we are.
Sheila's cancer has moved into yet another nasty stage and this winter will be long for the whole family. I think that she and Dick have been married for almost fifty years. It is a blessing to them both that they are together.
Well, this is bordering on maudlin, so I'll put it to bed and head there myself.

No comments: