Friday, July 31, 2009

Turkey Vultures, EFM and fresh blueberries



Not a really good image, but if you click on it you can see that it is a Turkey Vulture. First ones that I have seen in Pitt Meadows. It and it's mate were feeding on some critter that had expired in this field for two days and making sport of chasing a couple of Eagles away while doing so. Always some thing new on a farm.

Speaking of something new, we have had record breaking heat for all six days this week. It does get a tad oppressive at times. Then there is the futility of trying to sleep when third floor bedrooms have been building a heat load all day. Oh well, these will be pleasant memories in January and February when the rain is cold and the wind is helping it find every crevice in the wet weather gear.

EfM and my debut as a mentor in September has been much on my mind over this past week. I signed up with a web-site that connects mentors and was quite blown away by the incredibly generous welcome that came my way from folks who have been mentoring in the program for many years. Over my lifetime it seems that Christians, in all of our varied guises, have worked quite hard to give ourselves a less than positive name. Perhaps I'm being too hard on us as a collective group. That being said, I am regularly refreshed by the expression of welcome, of acceptance as you are and of sister and brotherhood that flows out from so many of those who have taken the EfM journey.

I've done a few bits and pieces for one of our neighbours who farms blueberries as well as cranberries and they gave me a twenty pound crate of the little blue beauties yesterday. About nineteen pounds more than Alley and I could go through so I passed them on to my favorite baker. She was quite pleased and my reward will be that in the depths of winter a blueberry loaf will appear to remind me of the summer. Not a bad exchange at all.

Everything good goes around.

No comments: